GPS directions: 528 West Mill Road, Long Valley, NJ908.832.6869innkeeperBOOK NOW!

History

area-historyMiddle Valley was settled by Germans in the early 1700′s. Its rural roots are preserved through crisp planning and loving stewardship of the land and homes of the valley. The presence of abundant resources allowed for farming to be supplemented through the 1800′s with small industries of quarrying, saw and gristmills, transportation and service industries. Today the valley contains residential and farm uses and boasts a growing recreational base.

 

The pre-European inhabitants of the valley were the Leni-Lenape Indians. Their village site was likely on this property across the millrace nearer the river. The old Indian trail on site was later the dividing line of Hunterdon and Morris Counties. The earliest grant from the King of England for this property was in 1714 to John Budd.

 

ColonialroomThe current owners are 8th in the chain of title since the King’s grant. Samuel Schwachhamer built the first home in 1732-1735 which remains (now restored) below the first floor. Rev. Casper Wack and his sons built the 1000′ millrace and first mills circa 1790.

 

The existing Victorian style home was built over the stone bank home by industrialist and politician Lawrence Trimmer in 1898.

 

 

Property Timeline – A 300 Year Record

  • 1714 – Grant from the King of England to John Budd
  • 1731 – John Budd to Samuel Schwackhammer
  • 1797 – Schwackhammer to Rev. Casper Wack constructed the first mill
  • 1830 – Saw and grist mill expansion
  • 1850 – Mill fire
  • 1855 – Mills rebuilt by William Wack
  • 1860 – Sold to the Neighbor family
  • 1865 – Sold to Anthony Trimmer
  • 1872 – Deeded to Lawrence Hager Trimmer: Operated as peach factory
  • 1898 – Main house built over Schwackhammer home
  • 1942 – Property sold to Crystell family
  • 2002 – Sold to Asdal family

 

  • Burd Family in the 1940s, tubing on the millrace.

  • Burd Kids 1944

  • Burd Family 1942

  • Grandpa Hildebrandt walking along Vernoy Road, near the lime kiln

  • Grandpa Hildebrandt at his house - thanks to Jim Beam for sharing these photos.

 

Menu