Middle Valley was settled by Germans in the early 1700's. Its rural roots are preserved through crisp planning and loving stewardship of the land and homes of the valley. The presence of abundant resources allowed for farming to be supplemented through the 1800's with small industries of quarrying, saw and gristmills, transportation and service industries. Today the valley contains residential and farm uses and boasts a growing recreational base.
The pre-European inhabitants of the valley were the Leni-Lenape Indians. Their village site was likely on this property across the millrace nearer the river. The old Indian trail on site was later the dividing line of Hunterdon and Morris Counties. The earliest grant from the King of England for this property was in 1714 to John Budd.
The current owners are 8th in the chain of title since the King's grant. Samuel Schwachhamer built the first home in 1732-1735 which remains (now restored) below the first floor. Rev. Casper Wack and his sons built the 1000' millrace and first mills circa 1790.
The existing Victorian style home was built over the stone bank home by industrialist and politician Lawrence Trimmer in 1898.
Property Timeline - A 300 Year Record
1714 - Grant from the King of England to John Budd
1731 - John Budd to Samuel Schwackhammer
1797 - Schwackhammer to Rev. Casper Wack constructed the first mill
1830 - Saw and grist mill expansion
1850 - Mill fire
1855 - Mills rebuilt by William Wack
1860 - Sold to the Neighbor family
1865 - Sold to Anthony Trimmer
1872 - Deeded to Lawrence Hager Trimmer: Operated as peach factory
1898 - Main house built over Schwackhammer home
1942 - Property sold to Crystell family
2002 - Sold to Asdal family
Grandpa Hildebrandt walking along Vernoy Road, near the lime kiln (l) and at his house (r) near the Vernoy Road spring. Vernoy is now a paved road running along the rear of the Inn's property. Our thanks to Jim Beam for sharing these photos with us.
Burd Family in the 1940s, tubing on the millrace. The other photos show the Inn and the innkeeper's cottage in the background.
The Inn was delighted to host the Swackhamer-Dufford Genealogical Society's reunion commemorating the 275th anniversary of Samuel Swackhamer's arrival in Middle Valley in 1732. The day was filled with interesting speakers, workshops, a delicious catered lunch, trout fishing lessons and a tour of nearby historic sites. The gathering concluded with poetry readings at the dedication of a kinetic sculpture followed by a farewell ice cream social.